getting crafty guest post: katie from punk projects

Hi, Katie here! If you don't know me, I'm an indie artist who loves all kinds of crafting- scrapbooking, mixed media, drawing, sewing, photography, etc.

While I love scrapbooking 12x12" layouts, I'm a huge fan of making mini albums. Today I wanted to share with you guys some of my favorite mini's that I've made as well some tips/thoughts on making minis! If you've been wanting to get into scrapbooking, mini albums are fun way to do that! They're great for documenting a trip or event.



Pictured above-
  • Graffiti Run Mini AlbumSince the 5k I was documenting was so colorful (and the photos!) I wanted my mini album to be full of color! I used fun colorful patterned paper for the album base and matted my photos on white so that they stood out.
  • Gulf Shores Mini Album- I used a fun technique seen on pinterest for this album, melting crayons! The melted wax definitely gave my album texture.
  • Caprock Canyons Mini Album- For this album I used papers from Echo Parks camping line and papers from Studio Calico Thataway collection. I think the two go really well together, I love the colors. Caprock is a favorite state park of mine, so I have multiple mini albums and layouts using pictures from here.
  • Camping at Huntsville State Park Mini Album- This mini album was almost a fail. You can read more about the story of this mini album on my blog. I tried a new supply and it almost didnt work for me. I love the finished mini though.



Pictured above- DVSP Mini Album. I created this mini album as a design team project, so I used stamps from Paper Wings Productions. I combined the stamps with other mediums to give this mini a mixed media look.

Some ideas on making minis-
  • Decide on colors and paper before you get started instead of just pulling out supplies as you go. This makes things go faster. You could also use a kit.
  • Try a premade mini album.
  • Make you own mini album. I like to use binder rings and my crop-a-dile to turn any stack of paper into a mini album.
  • Already make minis? Try a new binding technique!
  • Print your photos small. When making mini albums my photos are always 3x5" or smaller.
  • Use a page in your mini album for nothing but journaling!
In my opinion, mini albums are the perfect place to try new techniques, color combos and styles! I take a lot of photos that don't always fit on to a 12x12" layout, but I can add as many pages to a mini as I want, which suits my style perfectly!

Do you make many mini albums?


Katie is an artist currently living in Dallas/Ft Worth. she love everything crafty- scrapbooking, mixed media, drawing, sewing, and photography. She is also the girl behind the blog, Punk Projects, where she posts her artwork, DIY's and other peeks into her crafty life.

No comments:

Post a Comment