another adventure: icehouse canyon in the snow

ramble kat ramble

I did not think it would really be all that different. Snow is just weather to me because I have never spent a lot of time in it outside of when I lived in St. Louis. But seeing Icehouse Canyon in the Angeles National Forest was mind-blowing. This is a trail I've done time and time again but I never had an interest in hiking it in the snow. To me, snow is cold and mean and gray - I've always known it in an urban setting and always thought those gorgeous snow covered hill sides you see in movies and calendars were photoshopped or fake.


I was so wrong. 


ramble kat ramble

ramble kat ramble

ramble kat ramble

The photos do not and probably never will do it justice. We did two separate hikes through Icehouse in the snow and both were amazing. Gorgeous hillsides covered in blankets of powder. The first time we made it almost to Ontario Peak but without snow shoes we couldn't make it the last quarter mile to the summit. The second time we just went to Icehouse saddle and it was the perfect way to start 2015. 

ramble kat ramble

No comments:

Post a Comment