February is for Fitness

I hate and love the title to this post. I hate it because a part of me goes "uuuggghhhhh a blog about fitness, boooooooooooo." But I love it because I have started to look at fitness in a new way that works for me and is really invigorating. 

I always hated the idea of writing about fitness because (as with a lot of blogging) it seems vain and narcissistic. I am no expert and I don't have the need to write about a dramatic change in my life. But here I am, dedicating a month to the idea of fitness. Why? Because recently I have had a change in how I view fitness and working out. When I was working on graduate school and student teaching, my escape was the yoga studio, the climbing gym, or a spin class. I would go to the gym every now and then and leave feeling refreshed, invigorated, ready to face the challenges ahead, and most importantly I would feel grounded. It became like a reset button for me and I slowly began to realize that the reason I need fitness in my life is that it grounds me.

I was a very active kid. My family likes to joke that they used to have to run me around the block a few times to get me at a normal energy level. When I was in high school and college, I stayed away from everything physically active, I thought I was way too cool and artistic for all of that. I took dance classes but only because I had to for theater and I never gave my all to those classes. 

Now, as an adult, the hardest mental block for me to overcome is the idea that I need to change myself. I hate the idea of going to the gym to make sure I look a certain way and it has taken me far too long to realize that I need to work out because it makes me feel a certain way. It makes me feel like my best self. An hour in a spin class, a hour of yoga, an afternoon of the bike, or a day at the climbing gym - all of these things ease my stress, challenge me mentally and physically, and help me feel unstoppable. And that feeling radiates to everything else I do and want to accomplish.

So, my February is about five fitness classes a week (typically alternating yoga and spin since I am on a break from climbing right now) and one outdoor adventure (hike or bike ride.) My muscles are aching, but in a good way, and water has become my drug of choice. But here are some things around the web that are helping my February be Fitness February. 

Fitness Links: 

-Sometimes Sweet has created an instagram of her fitness life called @sometimessweaty
-Campfire Chic has done so many of the trips I want to do that just looking through her blog inspires me.
-I love Fabletics. I used to be a Target brand workout clothes kind of girl but once you upgrade, it's hard to go back. Here is there site and here is my referral link just in case you love it too and want to sign up! 
- The boy and I talk a lot about doing Tour de Foothills - this is the year I want to do it. 

What do you love about fitness? What do you hate about it? What inspires you?

xoxo,
kat 

No comments:

Post a Comment