fit february: i love yoga

These last two weeks were stressful. That may be an understatement. On Tuesday the boy had a doctors appointment, on Wednesday he met with a surgeon, and on Friday he had surgery. He is fine and it was a fairly routine procedure. But with all surgeries and procedures everything was very stressful and our daily lives changed completely for a few days.

So when his mom offered me two hours out of the house to go to a yoga class, I tried very hard not to jump up and down with excitement.

You see, yoga is one of my favorite things. Sometimes, I hate it. I really do. Sometimes, it takes everything within me to make myself go to a class but once I am there, I never regret it. With the other activities I do regularly (spin, climbing, and hiking) it is important to keep my muscles flexible and strong. For me, yoga builds my strength and increases my flexibility while participating in an activity that also acts as a form of meditation for me. Some people find yoga to be an incredibly spiritual activity. I wouldn't go as far to say that it is spiritual for me, but I am more centered after my yoga practice.

When I do yoga, especially when I take a class at a studio, I have the chance to focus on myself in a way that most other activities don't allow. So much focus in yoga is on the breath and being aware of your body, it gives me an opportunity to ground myself in a way that no other exercise does. While I talked about how spin classes make me invigorated, yoga grounds and centers me while making me feel stronger than ever.



Disclaimer: I am not a fitness expert and do not claim to be one. Everything stated above is my opinion, not advice, and you should always consult your doctor before starting a new fitness routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment