what i'm reading



Last week I told you how I had just started reading Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo and how I just could not put it down. Well, I really couldn't. I loved it so much I immediately read the second book in the Grisha Trilogy and then yelled a dramatic "NOOOOOO!" when I discovered the third book isn't out until June.

Shadow and Bone was amazing. The world that Bardugo created is so rich and intriguing. The characters were relatable, detailed, and they drew you in. I hate weak female characters - this is different than flawed characters, I enjoy reading flawed characters or characters that are conflicted. Bardugo did an amazing job creating a lead female character who is not weak but does have flaws and faces challenge after challenge.

The world of magic that is created is beautiful and distinct from other worlds recently created in books. I also really loved that so much of the book focuses on the struggles of power in so many different ways. This is such a refreshing focus as opposed to love (not that this book doesn't have it's fair share of love and intrigue.)

When I finished Shadow and Bone I immediately picked up Siege and Storm. I was worried that the second book wouldn't deliver or would repeat the same pattern as the first. The first chapter makes you think "Oh no, it's just going to keep repeating" but a series of great twists and new characters introducing you to more levels of the world Bardugo has created makes this another compelling read.

I wont lie, I was able to guess some of the twists and turns in these books but that didn't make the books any less enjoyable. The writing is so good that even if you might have an idea what's happening next, you have to keep reading to see if you are right and if it's going to be ok.

I cannot wait for the next book and I was very excited to get input from Leigh Bardugo on what to read while I wait its release.

What are you reading right now?

xoxo,
kat

No comments:

Post a Comment